Vedran Samanovic, UNDP
Strategies that relate to the societal context:
• Ensure broad community sensitization about HIV/AIDS for prevention awareness and to reduce the stigma that inhibits people from seeking services.
• Protect against sexual and gender-based violence.
• Provide opportunities for social activities for adults and youth, such as community leisure centers, choirs, sports activities, dancing, theater, youth groups and support groups for men and women.
• Train facilitators to conduct a series of community discussions using participatory learning and action exercises for community behavior and attitude changes.21
• If feasible, support income generating activities, particularly for women and men who want to leave sex work.
Srinivas Kuruganti, Freedom Foundation, Bangalore India
Protect against sexual violence
• Camp layout should be designed in consultation with refugees, including women, with due consideration of security issues.
• Ensure proper registration of all refugees, with special attention to female and child heads of households.
• Ensure female refugees’ access to camp services and essential goods, such as food, fuel and water.
• In collaboration with relevant local representatives, establish a committee to address the prevention of sexual violence.